Southwest.com is currently advertising (once again) for their 50,000 point sign up bonus. This happens about once every 3 months or so.
For 80% of people (yes, that’s a stat I just made up) who wish to fly domestically, there isn’t a better bonus than the 50,000 Southwest points. If you’re able to get a business and personal card and end up within 10,000 points of a Companion Pass, it’s probably the best domestic bonus for 99% of the people.
Sure, it’s possible that I’m overstating the case.
For select routes, I’m sometimes able to get a better rate using my Avios. (In February, I flew from Denver to Dallas for 9,000 Avios RT). However, having the Companion Pass is GREAT and doubles the value of your points.
Don’t be discouraged by the marketing phrase, 2 free round trips, not that two free round trips is anything to turn your nose up to. In reality, you get 50,000 Southwest points, and if you’re creative, you can stretch them to a lot more free flights. If you purchase Wanna Get Away Fare class tickets, you’ll be able to get $833 worth of flights out of that 50,000 points.
I’ve flown Southwest quite a bit in the last few months.
Here’s an idea how bargain hunting with Southwest can stretch your 50,000 points.
- In March, my family of five flew down to Phoenix. Each ticket cost 3,000 points for a roundtrip flight (plus $5 each). At that price, a person could turn this 50,000 point promotion into 16 round trip flights between Denver and Phoenix.
- In April, I flew up to Washington, DC. The roundtrip ticket cost me 8,269 points and $5. Best of all, since I have the Companion Pass, my wife can fly with me for $5. Even if I didn’t have a Companion Pass, I could still buy six roundtrip tickets for the 50,000 bonus points.
- Our family just got back from a trip to Seattle. We only flew one way because we took the train back home. Tickets cost 4,680 points one way (plus $2.50). The 50,000 points could stretch into 10 one ways or five roundtrips between Denver and Seattle.
See why I’m loving Southwest?
Best of all, you can check two bags for free, and flying Southwest is fun. I don’t feel like I need to travel business class domestically, and that makes Southwest my favorite domestic airline.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Card Details
- Sign up, get approved, spend $2,000 in the first three months, and get 50,000 Southwest points.
- Get 6,000 bonus points every Card Member Anniversary.
- The annual fee is $99 and is not waived the first year.
To sign up for the card, you can click here.
Companion Pass Opportunity
You can read up on the Companion Pass here. The best option is to try and get both a personal card and a business card in the same year to end up with 100,000 out of the 110,000 points needed for a Companion Pass.
If you’ve already had the Premier card, there is also an offer for 50,000 for the Plus card. The annual fee and bonus points are different, but the bonus is also 50,000 points. If you’ve had the Premier card for some time, you may be able to sign up for the Plus card as well and get the bonus again. They are two separate card products.
If you’ve got any questions, you’re most welcome to send me an email or leave a comment.