Update 1/8/13: This offer now appears to be dead. I hope you got in on it while it was still available.
I have an American Express Platinum, despite the $450 fee I think there are situations where it is a bargain. It’s even better now with a potential 100,000 Membership Rewards sign up bonus.
The Case for the $450 Platinum Fee
- Lounge access. You get to enter any American, Delta, or US Airways lounge when you travel. When your overseas you can access any Priority Pass lounge.
- You get $200 worth of airline credits per year. I explained that you can even get this in cash. I should let you know that the method of trying to do this is more difficult now as they only allow one lounge reimbursement per month (up to 12 reimbursements per month). Remember, this is per calendar year so you can get the credit in 2013 and then 2014. That’s a total of $400 worth of reimbursements while you have the card.
- You get Starwood Gold status. Depending on the location this can be between ‘decent’ and ‘great’. It’s decent because you’ll always get free internet. It is great if you get upgraded and have lounge access like we did in Buenos Aires.
- You get a $100 reimbursement when you apply for Global Entry. Global Entry allows you to skip immigration lines and also gives you TSA pre-check so you don’t have to wait in long security lines.
It think all of these things justify the $450 fee if you are at least a moderate traveler.
Then, on top of all the other bonuses listed you can get 100,000 American Express Rewards points.
American Express Rewards points can be transfer to the following airline partners:
- Asia Miles
- British Airways Avios
- EL Al Israel Airlines
- Air France KLY Flying Blue
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Iberia Plus
- Jet Blue
- Singapore Airlines
- Virgin America
- Virgin Atlantic
I already have the card, but we just got one for my wife.
How to get the offer:
- Go to creditcards.com
- On the left navigation menu click on “Offers Matched for You”
- Fill in your name and address. You are not required to enter your social security (as such I wouldn’t and didn’t)
- View your offers.
Some people report that they didn’t see the 100,000 Platinum offer. If you don’t I would try a different browser and try clearing your cookies to see if there is any way you can get the offer to appear.
Hat tip to Lucky at One Mile at a Time. There’s a ton of other folks who’ve written about the offer, but I first heard it from Lucky.